Searching for Network Connections


LIBE 477 – Inquiry Blog 2

I am thankful to be part of a district where we have a built in PLN within our TL community. District wide we have a vision that Teacher Librarians should carry some type of leadership within their school and with this we should be receiving ongoing professional development. In fall 2019 we received funding for every Teacher Librarian to get TTOC coverage for one afternoon a month. On that afternoon we meet at the School Board Office and either collaborate on a given topic or receive Pro-D. My learning at these sessions has occured informally through break-out groups where we learn from each other simply by sharing our challenges, solutions, and ideas. It also occurs formally where we are taught new skills with the idea that we disseminate the skills within our own schools. Last year we had a representative from Apple come and give a two-session seminar on ICTs in the classroom. After her presentation we met and discussed how each of us could implement what we learned in our own spaces.


Miles MacFarlane in his YouTube video titled “Understanding and Creating Professional Learning Networks” cites Rory Sie who concluded that successful PLNs should have a balance of in-person and online connections. In my district, the large group of us TLs also keeps in touch through our online collaboration. We have a flourishing hub of learning on a shared Microsoft Team created just for TLs in my district. We upload lessons, share articles, ask questions, and share ideas. This has been very helpful for me as I am a newer TL. On more than one occasion I have had an urgent question mid-school day, dropped a question into our general chat on our MS Teams page, and received a helpful answer before the end of the school day.

An advantage to a district community PLN is that the answers to the questions I ask are standardized. If I have a question with Follet or Destiny, these wonderful TLs have the answer because we are all using the same resource. We do many district-wide programs, so the lesson ideas used for the Book of the Year program at one school will most-likely translate well (something with a little tweaking) to the Book of the Year program I am running.

I would argue that my PLN with my district TLs has a balance of structure and freedom, of mandatory attendance and openness to get involved, but most importantly together we have a tone of a shared purpose.

Other ways that I am currently building my knowledge are through Instagram and Twitter. Following key authors and illustrators on Twitter (example: Gordon Korman, Dan Santat, Minh Le, etc.) keeps me connected to the current conversations and updated on opportunities. On Instagram I follow literacy advocate agencies like WeNeedDiverseBooks to know what new books they recommend. I also follow many independent or major publishing companies to see what the new titles are. The key advantage to establishing a community to follow online is that every user has a different motive. I can follow my favourite authors, illustrators, and book publishers and I can also be following handles about wildlife, cooking, and teacher memes. Social media is what you make it. In the same 5 minute scrolling session I can improve my professional development and glean new perspectives while simultaneously planning tomorrow’s dinner.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing about your district PLN for teacher-librarians! I joined a similar type of PLN for math teachers in my district several years ago and still fondly recall our meetings, the connections we made and the many tools and strategies I took away. As a newer teacher at the time it was an exceptionally valuable community and overall experience for me. I would love to participate in something similar for TL's when I begin working in a school library, so I can learn from other librarians about their successes and challenges in their school libraries. I also think it's so great that you can send out a message when you have a question and receive an answer so quickly!

    Also, thank you for sharing WeNeedDiverseBooks, I've begun familiarizing myself with their program and have followed them on Twitter. I'm looking forward to exploring more of their resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate you are to work in a district that has created a strong culture of collaboration. Having this support network not only helps strengthen individuals but also helps strengthen the system overall. For your next post, you might want to do some outside research to support your thinking as well as provide links to outside sources and a works cited. Adding some additional research to your reflection will further enhance your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so fantastic that your district has such a supportive and strong group in place to learn from and work with. TLs are leaders in every way, having the ability to hone those skills is so important and it is so rewarding that your district recognizes that and funds time for collaboration with your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog